In our collection of aromatic plants offered, the plant dictamos stands alone as one of the most significant aromatic – medicinal plant of Crete; the relevant references date back to Antiquity, made by some of the experts of the time, such as Hippocrates, Theofrastos and Dioscouridis. All of them praise the medicinal properties of the plant. The name comes from the words Dictis (a mountain of Crete) and thamnos (bush), but it is also known with the popular names of Erontas or Erotas (Love), Dictamnos, Adichtamos. There is a certain theory which attributes the association of the plant with the greek term for love to the fact that in the older times the Dictamos was used as an erotic stimulant. Moreover, the plant tends to grow naturally in steep and difficult to approach terrain, making it a privilege only for those in love, who are willing to take the risk of trying to reach for it, to cut it off and to offer it to their sweetheart as evidence of their faith and love.
- Healing and astringent properties
- Soothes stomach and bowel pain
- Treats bad breath
- Helps treat gingivitis
- Stimulates menstruation (helps treat amenorrhoea)
- Soothing properties (advisable for nervous disorders, nervous headaches and other conditions of the nervous system)
- Anthelmintic, anti-microbial and anti-spasm properties.